The Gates of Gondolin are a series of great gates that control access to the Hidden City through the ravine.
They are (outermost first):
- The Gate of Wood - guards liable to surprise wanderers.
- The Gate of Stone - guards robed in grey.
- The Gate of Bronze - guards in red mail and bearing red-bladed axes, mainly Sindar of Nevrast.
- The Gate of Writhen Iron - thickest of all gates.
- The Gate of Silver - guarded by archers in white and silver.
- The Gate of Gold - guarded by archers in gold with gold plumes.
- The Gate of Steel - also known as the Great Gate, built by Maeglin after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.